Yes, you read the title right. An Eco-friendly doggie b-day party happened a few days ago for the Nickster’s 8th birthday.
What made it eco-friendly and why am I having a birthday party for my dog? Good questions.
I’ll start with the why question. I never had kids and totally missed out on the fun of having little rugs rats running around, excited and on over-drive from a chocolate cake sugar buzz. Now that I’m a dog mom, I get to invite my friends over for wine and cake and get to see a bunch of excited pups run around barking and chasing each other. Close enough.
And how did I make my fete eco-friendly? In so many ways that I’m excited to tell you about.
Here are the top ten:
- The (super elegant) crystal stemware I used is from craigslist
- The beautiful turquoise bowls were from Salvation Army
- The chocolate cake was vegan
- I asked for the plastic to be removed and re-used when I bought the flowers
- I picked some of the flowers from an abandoned lot
- The (people) menu was vegan
- The only gifts allowed were edible, ie. treats
- I asked that guests didn’t use packaging for the gifts
- The wine and sparkling wine were local, from the Okanagan
- The napkins were from the Salvation Army
And, with all of this eco-friendliness, the party was still very chic, and very easy on the budget. Simple is elegant, easy on the earth and cost effective too. xo