Lemons. I love fresh, summery, citrusy lemons. I love squeezing lemon in my water, on fish, I adore lemony baked goods and I even like smelling like lemons. That particular obsession started with Love’s Lemon Fresh spray and cleanser when I was a teenager. So for the last four years of the 70’s I walked around smelling like a big lemon.
Right now I have a beautiful bowl of bright yellow lemons sitting in my kitchen. And when I find I have a plethora of lemons in the house, I definitely make lemonade, but I also do this:
- Use lemons as a blackhead treatment. It may sound too good to be true, but because lemons are antibacterial, they can help treat acne and blackheads. Just slice a lemon, and squeeze the juice on your face. Those annoying blackheads will start to fade before you know it.
- Use in cleansing wipes. Mix a couple drops of lemon and tea tree essential oil in about 6 ounces of distilled water. Put in a spray bottle to use as a toner or the mixture can be applied with cotton pads as a cleansing wipe for problematic skin.
- Lemons can also be used to lighten hair. Score dye-free DIY highlights with lemon juice. Apply it before you expose your hair to sunlight to give your locks a natural, sun-kissed color. Lemon juice can also help treat a dry scalp and dandruff, an added bonus.
- Strengthen Your Nails. Soaking nails into lemon juice for about 10 minutes and rinsing them with warm water once a week will not only help them to grow but will also help whiten them.
And there you have it. Lusciously lemony, all natural, chemical free, cruelty free and budget friendly (whew, that was a mouthful) beauty treatments that will have your hair shining, your skin glowing and your nails bright and beautiful.
And now, the lemonade…
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 6 ounces raspberries
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup water and agave over medium heat until the agave has dissolved, about 1 minute. Add raspberries and simmer, stirring occasionally, until raspberries have broken down, about 5 minutes.
- Blend raspberry/agave until smooth, about one minute.
- In a large pitcher, whisk together blended raspberries, lemon juice and 5 cups water. Place in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Serve over ice or frozen raspberries