True or False
A serving of Prego tomato sauce has more sugar than an Oreo cookie?
If you guessed true, you’re right! Eating processed pasta sauce is worse, sugar-wise, than chowing down on a big ole Oreo. But there’s an easy way around that. Make your own pasta sauce. A friend gave me this delicious recipe and when I tested it in my tiny (now tomato stained) kitchen, it passed with flying colours. Below is a healthy, sugar-free alternative to Prego:
“Thank God It’s Not Prego” Bolognese Sauce
- 2 1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 8 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- handful Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup spinach, zucchini, broccolini or almost any other vegetable
- 1 Portobello mushroom sliced or diced
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Pink salt
- 1/2 lb. organic ground beef *
- Fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- a splash of vodka (optional)
Simmer ingredients in a saucepan, pour over your favourite pasta (I love whole wheat for extra texture and nutrients) and voila! Dinner is served, and without a boatload of hidden sugar.
*My beef comes from Pemberton Meadows near Whistler. A beautiful, old school farm where the animals are treated well and grass fed. Local, humane and organic farms are the way to go. You pay a bit more but it’s so, so worth it! The saying “you get what you pay for” is usually true and not using our purchasing dollars to support the horror of factory farming will, I hope, eventually instigate change.